I Did Not Make This Getcha B On Other Ish Image Map

Thursday, February 5, 2015

How My Faith in Humanity Was Stolen and Returned in a Day

Topic: Something you had that was stolen.

After my sister Samantha was born my family participated in The Buddy Walk. The Buddy Walk is an organized walk to raise awareness for Down Syndrome. I walked around town asking for donations and had raised over five hundred dollars in cash and checks. I had kept the money in my locker, and being young and dumb I left my locker unlocked. I lived in a small town and didn't think anyone would steal from me, but I was wrong. Very wrong. I went to go get my books for my next class and realized that the envelope was missing. I was heart broken. I went to the office to report it and there was nothing they could do. It was my fault I left my locker unlocked. I had to go around and tell everyone that I could remember donated that the money was stolen and while I appreciated their donations it wouldn't be going to the organization. When I told Kelly, an upperclassman I went to school with who had donated five dollars, that the money had been stolen I broke down and started crying. Kelly, being the amazing woman she is (and over time as our friendship has grown I realized it was just a small glimpse at how kind and amazing she is) pulled out fifty dollars, hugged me, and told me that it was okay. It was a wonderful thing to do. When all my faith in humanity was gone because one person stole over five hundred dollars from a charity, this one woman restored my faith with a simple fifty dollar bill and a hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment